Sunday, July 7, 2013

I'm NOT a Man, Never "Used to be" a Man

The other day Audrey Mbugua came into the limelight in Kenyan news when she filed a suit against the Kenya National Examinations Council (KNEC) on their refusal to change her documents as per her name change. She wants them to change the documents to reflect her changed name but they kept taking her round and round.

If you want to read more about Audrey Mbugua and her work, see her articles on www.transgenderkenya.com.



I met this guy in a club. I could tell clearly that he wasn't exposed to a lot in life as he claimed to be, considering the club had a lot of queer people in it. As we were dancing, he happened to touch my genital area. Twice. I was freaking out a little. Later while we were talking he asked me

"Are you a man who wants to be a woman?"

I almost threw up on him! I told him I am not a man, heard that? NOT A MAN, NEVER HAVE BEEN, NEVER USED TO BE!

I find that a lot of people while referring to transfolk will say "Oh that guy used to be a girl" or "You know she used to me a man" and stuff like that.

STOP IT! IT IS DEGRADING!

Once I came to the full realization of my self and my person, it was clear that I never used to be a man. I may have lived as a man yes, but I never was one.

So to all who interact with transpeople. The gender they are is the gender they are. It isn't their "new gender". Get it?

Lind
XOXO

2 comments:

Monica Roberts said...

Thank you Lindsay for that post.

It's something I have to repeatedly explain to people that I never was one of the fellas, and all the women that knew me pre transition will co-sign that statement.

Lindsay said...

You're welcome Monica, and thanks for your comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails